Duplicate field/column in DocumentRepositoryMetadata table

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:17 AM
Edited Jul 8, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Hello, I have a general question about the underlying database schema.

While testing I noticed that there might possibly be some duplicate data being stored but I figured I should first check here before jumping to conclusions and submitting as a bug, etc.

The columns in quesiton are in the DocumentRepositoryMetadata table:

• DocumentRepositoryMetadataID
  • ContentUUID

At first glance it appears to me that the main difference is that one is PK and the other is a FK.

So I'm wondering why is there a need for 2 columns?  Is this something to do with just a design preference?  Or is it possible leftovers from refactoring?  Or most importantly, I'm mainly curious to know if this is to allow specific functionality at the application level such as versioning or something along those lines?  No big deal if it is a design choice as far as I'm concerned but sometimes it is good to clarify (especially with databases/storing data) and ask the question "is it a preference -OR- is it a requirement".

I'm fairly new to the IHE spectrum so this could totally just be ignorance on my part.  I'm not yet intimately fimiliar with all of the integration profiles and I'm possibly just failing to see the full functionality of the document repository.

Thanks,

Mat