Is this application still active?

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Hi All-

I have been spent some times to try to get this app work. But the document is too poor to follow, and I ran into one issue after another. Granted, this is an open source software, I should not expect too much.

Just want to find out if anyone out there ever got this application work at all. If not, I just give up and move on to find a different solution..

Thanks

May 31, 2011 at 9:34 AM

I have been trying to get it to work. I have been partly successful but I am struggling with the test harness part.The installation document is not exactly correct I feel.I am keeping track of the changes I am making so that I can add it to documentation. Will update in a day or two.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Hey mishal153, did you have any luck with updating the documentation?

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:35 AM

We are using this solution to integrate in our own system. Further looks like nobody's looking after these discussions and Issue's. Nevertheless, we will post some of our findings and some updates on this site, to keep this opensource solution a bit alive! Or a byte whatever.

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:18 AM

PiexCode13,

Any chance of coordinating our efforts? We've upgraded the XDS.b solution to VS2010, .Net4.0 and SqlServer 2008R2 just like you have done.

We would also like to refactor the code as there seems to be quite a bit of duplication, etc. going on. Personally I would also like to get rid of prefixes like obj (that's so like MS in the 1990's).

I'm currently going through the Deployment documentation, documenting any errors and omissions (hear me mishal153? :-) )

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I've just learned that a new version is planned for release in January 2012.

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Hey norgie, that's a positive sign, can you tell me where I can find out more about this upcoming release?

P.S. Hoping it's a complete rewrite, I could rant on for days about the current solution's code style.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Hi there :-)

I'm sorry, but I don't know how much I can reveal, but from what I understand it will be based on .Net 4.x, VS2010 and SQLServer 2008(R2).

Re coding style. I agree, but coding style is to some degree about personal preferences and the team might have settled on what we now see.

However, I have written to them suggesting that the project might be in need of some refactoring. Don't know if that suggestion went down too well. :-)

There's some duplication, especially in the service implementations, config.file could be split into separate files for e.g. connection strings, get rid of "obj" prefixes, using vars, perhaps LINQ, utilising Entity Framwork 4.x, etc. etc.

On the positive side I think it is great that Microsoft provides us with a reference implementation :-)

--norgie